Thursday 24 September 2015

PERSONALITY

“Personality has power to uplift, power to depress, power to curse, and power to bless.” - Paul Harris

Every now and then I like to take an online test on personality, psychometrics, IQ, general knowledge, mathematical ability, etc. I find these kinds of tests fun and occasionally they can be useful as a means of getting to know myself a little better. Overall, they tend to be for my amusement only and occasionally they are a great source of amusement as they so far out of what I consider to be “myself”.

Here is one, called “16 Personalities” that offers a fairly simple, quick test that can give you your Myers-Briggs Type indicator. The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is an introspective self-report questionnaire designed to indicate psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. The MBTI was constructed by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Myers.

The test is based on the typological theory proposed by Carl Jung who had speculated that there are four principal psychological functions by which humans experience the world – sensation, intuition, feeling, and thinking – and that one of these four functions is dominant for a person most of the time. The MBTI was constructed for normal populations and emphasises the value of naturally occurring differences. “The underlying assumption of the MBTI is that we all have specific preferences in the way we construe our experiences, and these preferences underlie our interests, needs, values, and motivation.” Although popular in the business sector, the MBTI exhibits significant psychometric deficiencies, notably including poor validity and reliability.

Taking this test today, I found that I ended up as an “Assertive, Diplomatic Campaigner, ENFP”. Several years ago, when I had taken a similar test I was a “Nurturing, Idealistic Teacher ENFJ”. I guess I can find parts of myself  that are congruent with characteristics of both of these types (which are not too dissimilar), but there are also aspects of both types that are a little foreign to me. A bit like reading one’s horoscope [smirk]…

2 comments:

  1. Now this test has me totally confused. What I thought was true, obviously isn't. Way to make my mind whirl...off to see if there's any hope for the Defender! I'm embarrassed to tell my type. Off to see if there's any hope for me.

    That was fun! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete